Thursday, November 25, 2010

City Guy In The 'Burbs

Episode Four

The more I think about it this next topic is going to require many posts.  The topic is kids’ games that are particular to the city versus the ‘burbs.  There is a lot to write about.  And already I sense my bias. 

Let’s tackle the ‘burbs first.  As I consider the ‘burbs, the first activities that come to mind are the traditional sports like soccer, softball, peewee football, and little league.  All of them require a “field” and a gaggle of parents to organize leagues and transport the players around for practices and games.  These games are fun, but they have spawned two regrettable consequences -- the obnoxious sideline parent and the gas guzzling SUV.  May God forgive us. 

After sending out an SOS to friends and family asking about other suburban games, not much came back that I would say qualifies as exclusively suburban.  One that passes this test is flashlight tag.  Having a yard, with lots of options for hiding behind tress and bushes, is what makes this game a suburban favorite.  Also, since darkness is a critical ingredient in the game, it is a natural for the ‘burbs where artificial lighting is relatively scarce.  By contrast, seeing a kid in the city with a flashlight is a ludicrous concept.  When I was in the city flashlights only appeared when ConEdison was hit with a blackout.           

On the other hand, city games are quite numerous and generally are more inventive, kid-driven activities that, with some imagination, can be played right outside your apartment building or row house.  No parents or rides required.  Here is a partial list of the games I played as a kid in the city.  Johnny-ride-a-pony, ring-olievio, box ball, off the stoop, punch ball, stickball, chase, fox and hounds, and flies up.  In my twenty-five plus years in the ‘burbs I have never seen these games played there and wonder if the kids in my current neighborhood would even know what these games were.  At the playground we also played lots of basketball, as well as games like taps, twenty-one, and horse.  I once beat a friend one-on-one to 100 points.  It took several hours and I wore my fingertips raw. 

Now, when I drive through my suburban neighborhood and see a bunch of kids moping in some driveway I’m tempted to jump out of my car and tell the kids to get some chalk, bottle caps, and wax.  Then I’d draw a skully box, melt the wax into the bottle caps, and teach them the game.  That’s if they hadn’t already run inside when they saw a strange man get out of his car and head toward them.  

1 comment:

  1. Lower East Side handball games are in full effect lately, and this game feels urban to me. Ever see it elsewhere? Indoors maybe...

    There also is a serious two-hand-touch football league that plays on the courts next to Henry Street. Practice is every night rain or shine. A young kid always "refs" from on top of the basketball hoop. As in, he climbs the chain link fence it is attached too and sits on the rim so he can see the action.

    Not much like NYC...

    ReplyDelete