The Blizzard of 2010 slammed the northeast on the day after Christmas sending everyone into a frenzy. In the aftermath I was again reminded of the stark difference between snow in the city and snow in the ‘burbs.
In the city snow is generally a hassle. Just ask beleagured New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who actually might have a much stronger word for it right now. On the contrary, in the ‘burbs snow is an ethereal experience. As a veteran of both environments I know this firsthand.
Snow falling in the city is beautiful. It’s serene and romantic. Of course, this dramatically changes as soon as vehicle exhaust turns all that beauty into a blackened, repulsive mass. Then you just wish the snow would simply go away. In most cases, this transformation happens within twelve hours, tops. And by then traffic is snarled and parking a nightmare. Worse, trying to cross the street can be as daunting as any extreme outdoor adventure. With sewers clogged and overwhelmed, the corners become wide expanses of bottomless puddles and slush. If you don’t have waterproof boots, fuggedaboutit. You might as well go back to your apartment and wait until April.
In the ‘burbs snow has an entirely different effect. School is cancelled. No one goes to work. Out come sleds and saucers. Hot chocolate is set brewing in every house. The women begin baking, while the men swarm the landscape with snow blowers, shovels, and ice picks, reclaiming driveways and brick front walks. It’s like a festival. The only thing missing is loudspeakers blaring Edelweiss.
I bought my first shovel when I moved to the ‘burbs. Before then I didn’t need one. The super always cleaned the steps and our car was safely stowed in a local garage. Now when it snows I tell work I’m not coming in because I have to dig myself out, but secretly I’m hoping that, like when I was in grade school in the Bronx, some guys will ring my bell and ask me to help build fort in the playground so we can have a good ol’ fashioned snowball fight.
Walking up First Avenue on the way to a New Year's Eve gathering I saw a group of glitter-clad girls about twenty paces in front of me get pelted with snow balls and I immediately paused. Looking around I spotted four pre-teen kids who had stock piled snow and were perched behind the scaffolding the currently surrounds the raised outdoor seating of NYU's School of Dentistry. Knowing I was next I immediately locked eyes with one of them to let them know that I was on to their game. I removed my Apple Ear Buds and hollered "Take mercy on a Brooklynite? There are clueless tourists right behind me, GirlScout honor, I saw them on 14th". The kids looked at one another and I inched forward. No one arched backed a loaded hand so I proceeded. As I got really close I gave them the thumbs up and said "Fabulous location...Happy New Year".
ReplyDelete