One of the biggest differences between the city and the 'burbs is parking. In the city parking is a sport. In the 'burbs parking is a misnomer. Let me explain. In the city parking is a competitive activity and every motorist is potentially your opponent. Too many cars are vying for too few spots. There are winners and there are losers. On the other hand, in the 'burbs there is no such thing as parking in the traditional sense. There, when you've reached your destination, you don't "park" your car (you know, in the road, parallel and close to the curb) in as much as you guide it between a pair of lines typically in a large lot and shut off the ignition. I'm sorry, but that's not parking.
Really, this is one subject in which I truly know what I'm talking about.
Each driving lesson would end with my father directing me around our neighborhood and pointing out spots into which I had to wedge. Since my father was nothing short of fanatical about his car's appearance, when even a centimenter scratch would send him over the edge, this was tremendous pressure. I swear to God the spots he picked out were no more than about four inches longer than the length of the car. And these spots were not on desolate streets. They were narrow and plagued with almost constant traffic. With sweat beading on my brow, I would perform the classic parallel parking maneuvers -- rear in at 45 degree angle, reverse cut the steering wheel, straighten out -- and somehow, I can't remember how, get that oversized Chevy Impala (a big car back then) into the spot. Relief would wash over me until the next lesson when the target spot my father selected would be even smaller than the last one I had mastered.
So, parking in the city doesn't faze me. On the contrary, I look forward to it. In fact, if I don't get into a spot and leave the car within six inches of the curb on the first try, I consider it a failure and have a hard time sleeping that night.
Which brings me back to the 'burbs. I live in a pretty ordinary suburban/rural community. Lots of open space and freestanding homes with driveways. In the twenty-three years I've lived here I've never had to look for a parking spot. Never. There are plenty of places to put your car. Actually, a large section of our downtown is, in essence, a string of contiguous parking lots. Every retail establishment in what you might call, with a stretch, the central business district has its own parking area, typically right in front. This creates a peculiar situation where all the stores are recessed from the road, many by one hundred feet or more, so that it is impossible to tell what they are. Not only is this bad for business (pedestrians on the sidewalk need binoculars to read the signs over the doorways), but, since there is no way our population can fill all these spots, it makes the town look deserted. The good news is, if the NFL ever wants to locate a new franchise in our town with a massive new stadium, we won't have to worry about what to do with the influx of vehicles.
I could go on, but I think you get my point.
Finally, remember those Larry Bird/Michael Jordan MacDonalds commercials where they are playing horse to win a Big Mac? Trading the basketball between them, they are calling out the shots, each one more ridiculous than the prior one. Over the highway. Through the window. Off the backboard. Et cetera. Well, if there were an equivalent parking game I would save this for my final challenge. Downhill on a very steep grade. Tight spot between luxury cars. In Volkswagon Beetle. Fogged windows. Standard shift.
Funny thing is -- you first taught me to drive in one of those parking lots! Though I will admit, my parallel parking skills were not truly honed until a year in Jamaica Plain, Boston. Parking "horse" was a weekly ritual: facing down steep hill (Sheridan St.), left side of the road, tight squeeze, stick shift. My motto soon became, "Isn't that what bumpers are for?"
ReplyDeleteThe best parking wars were left for the winter. The dilemma: Spend significant energy shoveling your car out from the piles of snow, but do you dare move the car and abandon the spot knowing someone else might swoop in and reap the benefits of your hard work. Solution? Place a chair, cone, or any other large object into the spot to mark your territory. If someone takes your spot -- you slash their tires.